Friday, April 17, 2009

Up North Adventures:
The Shiny Tree



While we were pine cone hunting we stumbled upon the most beautiful tree. I have never seen such a shiny, glistening tree. It even had sort of an iridescent appearance.



We were looking down, because that is where you are most likely to find pine cones this time of year, but this tree stopped us in our tracks.
The pictures obviously do not do it's beauty justice...photos never come close to the real thing.



I have no idea what kind of tree this is. My first guess would be a silver birch, because it has that horizontal peeling bark, but when I attempted to look it up on the internet the bark looks different than this tree.



I called my (new!) mom to ask her opinion. She thought it may be a river birch because of the way the bark peels away with such a fine texture. I will definitely defer to her opinion because she knows much more about trees than I do.



Maybe my friends that own this property know what kind of tree it is. If they don't, maybe they will send pics of the leaves and seeds when it gets warmer so I can find out.



If you know what sort of tree this is feel free to post a comment or send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment