Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Forget-Me-Nots Are Going To Seed

The Forget-Me-Nots are going through another transformation! I was so surprised to see tall, lavender, powdery stalks waving proudly above the green foliage and little blue flowers below. It looks as if they are going to seed. I wonder if I should have dead-headed the blooms like I do the roses. I look forward to seeing what this amazing plant does next. I wonder if they will explode and reseed the garden to produce an even more extravagant display next year.

That makes me think of the deep, dark-red Sweet Williams at the big house. They were a gift from a very talented gardener friend. I knew they were annuals so I was pleasantly surprised when they came back the following year. I watched them closely and learned that after the flowers faded a seed pod grew and eventually “popped” and flew seeds everywhere. It was amazing! They were my favorite of all my flowers in my garden. Sadly, I was not able to take them with me when I moved and have not been able to find that color again. Maybe someday that velvety variety will cross my path so we can share our summers once again.

The garden in the big house was a wonderful experience. My friends donated many annuals and perennials to my garden the first year. Every year after that my friends and acquaintances exchanged seeds, cuttings, roots and transplants every year. I even had people I didn’t know pull into my driveway and ask for a cutting! It was difficult to leave that garden. Every flower and plant reminded me of a friendship or a get-together. It was like a floral scrapbook! I hope to have the same sort of experience when I finally get settled into my home in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment