Sunday, June 22, 2008

Beach Bag And Electronics Bag From His Military Uniform

I am still undecided about how permanently earn money while staying at home full time with my homeschooled children but for now I have an interesting project lined up.

I used patriotic fabric and an old army uniform to create a great beach bag, just in time for the fourth of July. I have been carrying it around on our day trips. It is wonderful and holds everything, and more for a day out and about with two active boys. It is a bit floppier than I wanted but still great. I will make my next bag a bit firmer.



BDU bag.



I got the idea from http://www.campfollowerbags.com/ Wow! What a woman. She makes amazing bags, called Hero Bags and quilts for families whose husbands have been killed or seriously wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan. She does not charge for these beautiful bags. She also sells various styles of bags.

I also created a smaller bag to hold the chargers and accessories to their Nintendo DS games. That was the most brilliant idea I have had in a long time. I do not know why I did not think of it sooner. The “battle of the cords” was always a pain. Now I drop everything in and have no worries. As an added bonus, I no longer have to be careful to keep the toys out of sight. Anyone looking in the car window will not know that the bag contains electronics.



Inside view.



I have a shirt pocket and plain fabric from the –ex’s old army uniform and more patriotic fabric. It is ready to be sewn together for a smaller, everyday bag. I hope to put that together this week.

My son will be sending me his wore out Navy uniform soon. I will create a neat bag (or two) for myself and a few samples for his friend’s girlfriends and mothers as advertisement. Everyone wants to support their soldier/sailor, right?

Also, my girlfriend has commissioned me to make two custom purses for her daughter and a custom scrap booking bag for herself. She picked out the fabrics and the basic design of each bag. I will be working on that this week also.

No comments:

Post a Comment