Monday, May 5, 2008

Park Closed For Season: Our First 2008 Roadtrip to the Beach






Last month Debbie and I took a drive to Caseville to spend the day lounging on the beach. I know what you’re thinking...going to the beach in Michigan in April?!? Well, you know we are just crazy that way. Plus, it was such a beautiful day and the boyz were with their father so I was a bit bored. Of course the beach does not open till Memorial Day, but that did not deter us. When we arrived we parked in a parking lot of a business in the neighborhood and walked to the beach. We rolled up our pants and spent the first half of the day going from sand bar to sand bar. Yes, the water was COLD on our feet but we only had to take a few steps before we reached the next sand bar, and the sun warmed the sand and our feet nicely.

When we got hungry we drove to the little gas station and bought sodas and cheese popcorn. The Crispy Cream donuts were tempting, but at 99 cents each and my pants still being a bit tight from my winter weight, I “just said no”. We considered going to Port Austin to take a walk on the pier, but decided against it since the fun stores are closed until the season opens and gas prices are so high now.

We goofed around for a bit before we decided to go back to the beach for the sunset. This time we wore our hoodies. It gets quite chilly on the water when the sun goes down. The beach and campground was closed so we could not park in the parking lot. We parked in the little area in front of the metal gate designed to keep people like us out till the season begins. I am pretty sure we are not supposed to park there, but the police just pretended they didn’t see us. There was another family parked there but they were leaving just as we arrived, except one young man. This beach has a campground with mobile homes and permanently parked travel trailers. There are also sites to bring your tent or travel trailer. This young man walked to his motor home and went inside. Obviously we are not the only rule breakers in that town. We watched the sun set until we could not stand the cold anymore. Debbie says that once she gets chilled to her bones it takes forever to get warm again.

On our way home we stopped at McDonalds and posed for some glamour-shots with the infamous Ronald McDonald. We could not get his autograph or anything because he is molded plastic. I will post photos of this when I finally break down and purchase a cord that connects my phone to my computer. Darn Verizon doesn’t use standard ports so I have to order it or go to the Verizon store, which I have been too lazy to do.

We arrived at Debbie’s around midnight. I gathered my things and headed home. Hanging out on the beach is one of my favorite pastimes. I look forward to more beach days this summer. I have a dream of spending an entire, carefree summer in my travel trailer (which I don’t have yet, it’s part of the dream) with my boys, parked on a beautiful beach.

…maybe someday…

Walt Disney said,

“All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.”

I believe this to be true. My biggest dreams have been to be a wife, mother and teacher. I was a wife for 15 years. (I hope to be a wife again someday). I have always been a stay at home mom and have homeschooled two of them into adulthood, the other two are still at home. So, I will continue to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment