Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Old Fashioned Text Books, On Line Libraries and Book Collections

You know the old one room schoolhouse and those little books they learned from?

Well, today I was referred to a site that has links to online versions of a bunch of them. Through that site I found another site that links to 140 old text books!

I downloaded several of these old text book to add to my educational collection(my "curriculum"?).

My youngest absolutely loves the old math texts, with those real life questions that are not written out in numbers but are things you may have to figure out in real life. He also enjoys how the old readers tell stories of children doing things he likes to do, like boys going fishing, feeding the chickens, petting a cat or playing ball with his dog.

My second older boy enjoys adventure stories for boys like those written by G.A.Henty. I often find him with his nose in a book. He is currently reading a book about classic cars and another about Dr. Doolittle. I realize neither of those titles are historical fiction, but that is what he is reading right now. He probably has several other books that he is currently reading also but I don't know what they are.

I hope you will take the time to visit the links on this page. The online libraries and collections are great fun to look through. We use many online books for our education. There are many books that are either out of print or we simply can't afford to purchase. We do prefer to hold a book in out hands and enjoy turning the pages, but this is the next best thing. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment