Saturday, January 16, 2010

Definition Of Gossip - The Principal - Part 1

Gossip is any information shared about a person or event that does not edify the person hearing the information AND the person or event being spoken about.
I have been pondering the concept of gossip a lot again lately. Several friends and I used a similar definition many years ago attempting to define a moral standard, or principal, to govern the conversations we shared in and out of the group. To illustrate this I will share events from my life and convert them into mini conversations that are edifying and contrasting them with conversations that I consider to be gossip. I do not claim to be any sort of authority on gossip but do attempt to live a pure life for God. It is so easy to talk about what we know (our friends and families lives?) without considering or realizing the effect our words may have on the hearer and those being talked about, and how the things we say may be misunderstood, or used with negative or evil intent by the hearer, or shared again for entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment